Sunday, 30 January 2011

Introduction to editing: Practice film – card game

Our group was given a scenario of a card game, and through film and editing, we had to create suspense.
We were to do a minimum of 12 shots, which had to include: point of view, camera movement, over the shoulder shot,  and an exterme close up. In the end we inlcuded all but one - camera movement, but in our planning we intened to cover all the requirements.
     In the planning we wanted the Mise en Scence to be a small round table in an empty room. That was all that was really need because less says more. As the audience will drawn into only the table where all the suspense is created.
     Another thing we orginally planned was to include all 4 required shots, which everything except the camera movement being done more than once.
     We also planned for the lighting to be dark. We realised that darkness in itself created some level of suspense.

One thing that worked well, was that we all had an understanding of how we could create suspense, e.g. shot/reverse shot, extreme close ups.
     Another thing that worked well for us was that we were able to plan out, through a storyboard, the sequence of our shots, before we started filming.
     Another advantage was that we all had knowledge of how to use the camera, so there were few problems and set-backs in that area.

However, we did encounter many elements that didn’t work well in out filming.
     One was that we didn’t use the time constructively. We were trying to perfect every shot by doing lots of different angles of the same shot and preliminary shots, that we didn’t have time to properly finish the clip, so when our time was running out, we produced poor quality shots towards the end, and wasn’t able to do some of the things we had originally intended.
     Another problem we encountered was with precision and accuracy of continuity. Because we were dealing with cards, when filming the same shot from different angles, we needed to make sure that the same were put down in the same order, but at times we forgot this. This restricted us in editing because in one section of the clip we couldn’t change the camera shot because the cards weren’t the same. This caused the clip to contain a lot less suspense.
     One last problem we had was that we didn’t incorporate many different types of shots. We left out camera movement, close-ups, establishing shots and a few others. This pulled down the quality of our clip.

On the other hand, I am now able to learn from these mistakes and try to overcome these in my opening title sequence. It’s like what they say – what don’t kill you, makes you stronger. Also others in my group may have picked up on mistakes I had not realised, and mention these to avoid making the same mistakes in our opening title sequence. Therefore our final opening title sequence, hopefully, will be much stronger and better quality than this practice clip.   

No comments:

Post a Comment