Wednesday, 2 February 2011

The Animatic: Jelly Babies Analysis

 We were given a brief where our animatic  was centred around two jelly babies who were meeting up with each other and talking. Sound wasn't necessary at this point. We used a series of photo's using a still camera to make this animatic. This animatic is the foundation stage for our Preliminary film.


Jelly baby 1 at the door (above) 
 We thought about camera angles for our short clip to make this interesting. Jelly babies are small so we thought it was an unusual idea to make them seem as if they are using human sized furniture. We tried to do a match cut with the jelly babies opening the door. Personally I am not sure if we executed the match cut on the animatic. (In the Preliminary blog I believe we did a good job.)


My favourite part of the animatic is where the two jelly babies are moving forward together and the camera stays still. Each still picture showed the jelly babies coming forward.


To create awareness of the surroundings we used a birds eye view still image on the jelly babies. We wanted to introduce a variety of shots in the little time we had to shoot them.


 After shooting it was time to your "Final Cut Pro" to edit and put together our animatic. We loaded the photo's from our video drive and imported them to the programme. The most irritating thing about "Final Cut Pro" is that when we imported the still pictures, the pictures weren't tiled across the the window. They were in a long line making use have to scroll down to add them one by one. (Later on we found a short cut to adding them on.) Unbeknown to us, all the images had been highlighted. So, when we dragged one picture we had all them come on to the timeline. Frustratingly, Jazzine had to manually delete and move pictures from the timeline which we didn't need. This took up way too much time. 


We played back the footage generated by the stills, however something was wrong. The transition from one picture to the next took too long. We later found that each still had a duration of 10 seconds. This was an extensive amount of time so we cut the time to 4 seconds. After much deliberation we decided even that was too long. The next change was from 4 seconds to 2 seconds. We were satisfied but not completely, it still looks like 4 seconds; however, we ran out of time.  


The final outcome of the animatic is good quality as we have picked up and developed skills from the previous card swap footage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment