Thursday, 24 February 2011

Black Swan



I recently watched a new movie called ‘Black Swan’ which is a drama thriller. It was released in the UK in January 2010, with an age certificate of 15 + and as I researched before, this is an average age certificate for thriller movies.
     For the structure of their opening title sequence they done titles over a blank screen, followed by the narrative opening, and allowed the music in the opening title sequence to lead into the narrative, just like the opening title sequence of ‘Dead Calm’ that I briefly mentioned in one of my blogs previously.

I chose to blog about Black Swan is because with many awards wins and nominations, with some still pending, Black Swan is a hugely successful thriller. I have picked up on very influential features within the movie such as, using non-diegetic music to play a big part in creating suspense. Also to not have too much unnecessary dialogue as it drowns out the suspense being created. I also learnt not to try and give away too much information at one point, to just allow it to play out throughout the movie. This in turn will maintain the audience’s interest throughout, keeps things more clear, and allow more surprises throughout the film.
I intend to take what I learnt from this movie and incorporate it the best I can into my own thriller opening title sequence.

The opening title sequence is not yet put up on youtube so the best I can do is give you the trailer and encourage you to watch the movie. Enjoy! I know I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment