Sunday, 20 March 2011

A thriller which inspires me - Lonely Hearts

Raymond Fernandez (Jared Leto) is a con man who meets single, rich women through personal ads. Upon meeting Martha Beck (Salma Hayek), the two decide to join forces and begin travelling the country, eventually murdering at least 12 women who responded to their ads. Detective Robinson (John Travolta) and Detective Hildebrandt (James Gandolfini) are the homicide detectives who try to bring the couple to justice.

Last night I watched the psychological/romantic thriller ‘Lonely Hearts’ at home during my spare time. It is a 2006 American film directed and written by Todd Robinson. It is based on the true story of the notorious "Lonely Hearts Killers" of the 1940s, Martha Beck and Raymond Fernandez. I found this thriller very inspiring from its 1940s styled setting and outfits as well as the thrilling, uneasy feeling it gave me from the horrifically realistic scenes. I felt quite spooked during and even after watching the film from its captivating story. I believe this film gave everything a good thriller should give to viewers such as the ongoing suspense of when the two killers will next kill their prey and the constant questioning of 'why would you kill an innocent person so cold-heartedly?' to myself.

I also found the title sequence quite inspiring due to the fact that there were constant cuts between a female character who was clearly from a wealthy family preparing the table for dinner and photographs/documents of mysterious murders. As the director Todd Robinson is the grandson of Elmer C. Robinson (the character played by Travolta), he was able to get his hands on actual documents and scrapbooks for his film. The old-fashioned 1940s music which played over the opening fitted very with the scene as it made sure viewers knew which time period it was set in. Additionally, the use of effects on the small serif fonts in the opening really suited to the setting.

Although there were many ideas which I could use on our group thriller, the storyline and setting does not completely suit our thriller and the major parts of our title sequence has been completed with just the minor parts to elaborate or tweak. However, if I ever come across filming, I would definitely take concepts of this thrilling film into consideration. I strongly recommend this film but beware, this is not for the faint-hearted!
Here is the trailer below:

No comments:

Post a Comment